Microbiology and Cell Science - Ph.D. Degree Program
The Microbiology and Cell Science Ph.D. Program is a fully funded 4-5 year degree program that prepares graduates for a career in the sciences and research. The program requires a minimum of 90 credit hours in graduate level courses. Students must register for a minimum of 9 credit hours for Fall and Spring semesters, and 6 credit hours for the Summer. The candidate is also required to prepare a dissertation that shows independent investigation and makes a significant contribution to the research field.
Advantages of the Ph.D. Program:
- Students receive a stipend in the amount of $25,000 per year. This stipend pays out bi-weekly at about $880 per pay period. (note that students do NOT have to pay this back, this is like a scholarship)
- Students receive a full tuition waiver, which means that students do not have to pay out of pocket for tuition.
- Health insurance is provided free of charge to all Microbiology and Cell Science Ph.D. students
- Students have the freedom to choose their major professor and laboratory in which they will create their own independent research and plan of study.
- Students at UF benefit from internationally recognized faculty with a diverse set of interests and backgrounds. For more information on the faculty and the research they conduct, please visit the faculty directory.
Microbiology and Cell Science Ph.D. Student Example Plans of Study.
Please visit our Graduate Student Handbook to learn more about specific coursework and program requirements.
Contact the graduate advisor for more information on course schedules and planning.