Transfer Student Information
Transfer students majoring in Microbiology and Cell Science complete most of the preprofessional course requirements for medical and dental school and are also well-prepared for graduate school. Departmental electives offer the opportunity to focus on specific areas such as the sources and carriers of infectious diseases. This major is also available by distance education with laboratory instruction and testing facilities at Miami Dade College and the UF/IFAS Indian River Research and Education Center in Fort Pierce.
CALS transfer student applicants must meet the following requirements before transferring:
- Obtain an Associate of Arts degree from a Florida public community/state college. Students transferring from private institutions, state universities in Florida or institutions outside Florida must have at least 60 semester hours of transferable credit. Vocational coursework is not accepted.
- Complete two years of sequential high school foreign language courses or 8-10 hours of sequential college-level foreign language courses (or prove proficiency).
- Have at least a 2.0 GPA at each higher education institution attended as calculated by UF.
- Meet the GPA required for the major (all graded attempts calculated, NO grade forgiveness).
- Complete specific prerequisite courses required for the major with the required GPA
Additional Department Requirements:
Required 2.0 overall GPA and a 2.5 GPA in the following courses with a grade of C or better in each. Students MUST complete the following courses before transferring:
- CHM 2045 & 2045L – General Chemistry 1 and Lab
- CHM 2046 & 2046L – General Chemistry 2 and Lab
- BSC 2010 & 2010L – General Biology 1 and Lab
- BSC 2011 & 2011L – General Biology 2 and Lab
- MAC 2311 – Analytic Geometry and Calculus 1
For complete information on the requirements for transfer, please review the UF CALS Student Transfer Guide.
Application information for transfer students can be found at the UF Admissions Website.